silverorange: Android Native App Developer
via We Work Remotely
Headquarters: Charlottetown, PE
We’re looking for an Android Native App Developer to join our team. We are open to developers of various experience levels, and ideally you’ll be joining us with at least one prior full-time experience working as a Native App Developer within a team. We favour applicants with a strong sense of ownership over their own work. Excitement and ability to learn and contribute is more important to us than other metrics like years of experience.
Our team is co-operative and will help you learn and expand your skills via mentoring, team-wide support, and learning opportunities. All members of the team are encouraged and given space to grow as individual contributors, and have ongoing opportunities in project and team leadership.
Opportunity for employee ownership is a fundamental part of silverorange (non-founders currently own more than a third of the company) and we’re currently working on new ways to transfer even more ownership to employees.
People with different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger, and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Our team is getting more diverse across many dimensions of diversity, but we’re still missing perspectives that could make our work better. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups in our industry to apply—we want to add your voice to the mix.
- Implementing features and improvements on a Kotlin-based Android app and an Objective-C- and Swift-based iOS app.
- Reviewing code and content changes from other developers on iOS and Android projects.
- Communicating with team members and clients to understand and balance requirements.
- Identifying and helping to address technical design issues in apps.
- Writing tests for your work.
- Be eligible & available to work from Canada.
- Be able to quickly learn and understand new systems.
- Have experience with Kotlin and/or Java, rSwift and/or Objective-C.
- Have experience with the release process on the App Store and Google Play
- Have experience developing reasonably complex integrated systems.
- Have worked on projects with a team of developers.
- Be able to communicate clearly with clients and co-workers across multiple time zones. Several of our key clients are in California and we have team members in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, as well as Ecuador and the United Kingdom.
- Experience with testing and continuous integration processes.
- User interface and interaction design experience.
- Gradle / R8 experience in Android development.
- Working with media playback and data synchronization
- Working with Google Cloud Firestore’s Firebase product.
- Experience with reactive programming using Apple’s Combine, or RxJava
- Project or product leadership experience in any profession or industry.
- Elasticsearch querying and indexing.
Our team has been remote-friendly for over 20 years, and remote-first for the last 8. We continue to improve our approach to having a dispersed team. Due to COVID-19 this position will start as full-time remote regardless of location, though you are welcome to work from our lovely offices in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada once they are re-opened.
Benefits & compensation
- Flexible work days, approached collaboratively with you to allow for the realities of appointments, family minding, and your everyday life.
- 3 weeks of paid vacation, on top of 10 paid days of civic holidays, and 3 weeks of paid company-wide shut down.
- Generous health and dental coverage, with 100% of premium covered by silverorange.
- New computer hardware every 3 years, and other tools as needed.
- Yearly company-wide bonuses based on overall company success, plus ownership opportunities and dividends for long-term employees.
- Salaries based on experience starting at CAD $59,000-67,500 per year for those earlier in their career and CAD $82,500-94,500 per yea per year for more senior candidates, with both annual company wide salary band adjustments as well as opportunities and expectation of ongoing career and compensation growth.
- Additional remote worker salary add-on of CAD $3,000 per year and a wellness salary add-on of $500 per year.