Toggl: Engineering Manager
via We Work Remotely
Headquarters: Tallinn, Estonia
As part of Toggl’s leadership team and Engineering department, you will lead Toggl Plan’s cross-functional engineering team (currently 10 developers, expected to grow). Taking ownership of the delivery of new features and improvements, you’ll be working closely with the CTO, other EMs, dedicated product managers, as well as many other specialists across the company to deliver real value to our customers.
The starting salary for this position is €80,000 annually, plus great benefits (see below), and we are committed to reviewing salaries annually based on company and individual performance.
You can work from anywhere in the world as long as you have a couple hours of overlap with the European working day.
About our team
Toggl is a distributed team of 100+ people working remotely from 30 countries. We take pride in our professional, learning-oriented, and friendly working environment that values work-life balance and constantly doing our best in every aspect of our work. You can work from anywhere in the world because we know great people do awesome work wherever they are. Every few months we travel to meet up somewhere in the world and spend some quality time together. Our business is profitable with a healthy margin and we are built with no outside investments, so you can count on a stable working environment.
Toggl Track and Toggl Plan, previously two separate companies, merged in 2022. We have already seen great improvement in conversion and retention after our first product integrations, but there remains much to be done to bring both the products and the teams closer together. This role is about tackling these interesting challenges, finding and exploiting opportunities and making a huge impact not only to Toggl Plan but the entire Toggl brand and ecosystem.
We are looking for an experienced product-minded engineering leader who is ready to hone their skills and apply them to new challenges. We need someone with strong leadership principles who lives our company culture, can work with and help shape our company goals and understands how to lead and motivate their teams to achieve our product vision.
Your team will have great product managers, designers, and other specialists working with engineers on a daily basis to prioritise and make decisions based on data and user research, while they design and implement improvements to our product. They will rely on you to communicate the bigger picture and facilitate cooperation between teams and with stakeholders in other departments.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Being responsible for the well-being and productivity of your team. You will develop their professional skills through great feedback and regular 1:1 sessions.
- Actively helping shape our engineering culture and empower your team to develop and improve their processes to maximise technical quality and sustained speed of delivery.
- Working with the CTO on a strategy for growing your team in a sustainable and scaling way, which likely will include you delegating many responsibilities to team leads in the future.
- Proactively reporting on the progress and needs of your teams and team members back to the CTO so you can together put your teams in the best possible position to succeed.
- Using your technical insights and understanding of your team’s work to help improve company strategy and roadmaps to achieve company goals and use this big picture vision to motivate your team.
Toggl is growing as a company and as a suite of products and we have many innovative and exciting things to work on in the coming years. This position is an opportunity to lead and make a significant impact on the future of our products and culture.
- You have a strong engineering background and significant leadership experience. You have seen many projects through from conception to delivery. You are passionate about leadership and want to lead a talented cross-functional team and make them excel.
- You care strongly about engineering culture, principles and practices and you work to maintain and improve them. You are always looking for ways to improve how your teams work and you share what you learn with others.
- You are product-minded and understand the importance of and how to create a great user experience and enable and improve acquisition and retention growth loops.
- You want to take ownership and make a difference in a successful, bootstrapped, product-led company, iterating constantly and enabling your teams to deliver top-quality work.
- You are proactive and speak up when you see something wrong. You never assume that “it’s someone else’s problem”. You focus on achieving company goals together.
- You are a great team-player and communicator when working with anyone from engineers to specialists like product managers and designers, when working with other teams, and with your manager and other stakeholders. You are responsive to feedback and always seek to learn and improve.
- You like transparency, openness, and asking questions. Your English communication, both written and verbal, is great and you prefer to over- rather than under-communicate. You take the well-being and growth of your teams seriously and want to help each team-member succeed in their role. You give genuine, candid and productive feedback that helps the receiver learn and improve, even in difficult situations.
The main technologies your team will be working with are:
- AWS (considering moving to Google Cloud), PostgreSQL, Elixir, REST, JSON
- Freedom to choose when and how much you work—we only measure results
- 24 days of paid time off a year, plus your local holidays
- In-person meetups for team-building (expenses covered)
- 4-6 weeks paid sabbatical (depending on tenure)
- Laptop budget up to 2,500€ and it renews every 3 years
- €2,000 budget to set up your home office and an additional €300 every year after 3 years of tenure
- €250 per month for co-working space membership and/or internet service at home
- €4,000 per year contribution to use for training, workshops, and conferences
- €2,000 per year contribution for any equipment or services to improve and/or maintain your physical and mental health
- Support for buying tools you need for doing your best work (even eyeglasses if you need a new pair)