PostPilot: Senior Ruby/Rails Developer
via We Work Remotely
At PostPilot we build our product following the Basecamp Shape Up methodology and keep our apps fast, secure, and reliable. Right now, we’re hoping to further develop our flagship product PostPilot and work on problems like A/B testing, MFA, Adding more e-commerce integrations, building external APIs, and of course, making sure our existing infrastructure is scalable and maintained.
- Built a way for email lists to be converted into physical mailable addresses.
- Built software to manage pulling, printing, and monitoring our in-house printshop manufacturing process.
- Built a fleet of handwriting robots driven by Ruby on Rails.
- Built support for single-use unique coupon codes in direct mail campaigns
- Built the ability for Shopify brands (our users) to send real handwritten notes (postcards in envelopes, with real pens) with live in-browser previews
- Created a Public API for sending postcards and handwritten notes in our production facility.
- Developing a load balancing strategy for “expensive” Sidekiq background jobs that were crushing external APIs and our queues.
- Improved developer experience with Heroku (Pipelines, CI, and Review apps), Github Actions
- Deep dive into expensive queries in our application and working to improve performance and memory consumption from Postgres to Rails
- Built a webhook event publishing system for events from our production facility.
- Upgraded our main application to Rails 7 with import maps and hotwire.
We require an overlap at least 4 hours with the United States east coast workday. That said, we’re not hiring from locations that require a graveyard shift to make the overlap happen.
Pay and benefits
The annual salary for this position is $80,000 – $120,000 USD. Applicants from outside the US will be offered a contractor role with comparable terms and at the same rate of pay as our US-based employees.
Our target start date for our new hire is as soon as possible.
How to apply
Please send a quick message tailored to this position that speaks to us. Include the phrase “Ghostbusters!” and we’ll know you’re a real person that made it this far. Introduce yourself to us as a colleague. Give us some examples of how you’ve been successful in the past and attach a resume.
You should expect to hear from us fairly quickly. After that, there are 3 phases of the process.
- A quick call to learn more about each other. Expect a 30-minute call.
- A take-home exercise, our technical exercise is representative of the kind of day-to-day work we do with a follow-up code walkthrough call. Plan for around 4 hours for the exercise and 30-minutes for the follow-up.
- One last call with one of our Founders and the CEO of the company. Expect this to take 20-minutes.