PacketFabric: Site Reliability Engineering – Storage
via We Work Remotely
Headquarters: Los Angeles, CA, US
Site Reliability Engineer – Storage
Location: Sacramento, California, United States
Quickly maturing startup seeking like-minded Site Reliability Engineer! The technical team is a small, talented, and close-knit group and we need some development and systems help to make business and development operations flow smoothly.
As a well-rounded site reliability engineer, you should definitely be the type that appreciates diversity in your day, and challenges outside of your comfort level!
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Managing and automating the care for Linux systems and a lot of disks at scale.
- Extending the server configuration management systems with new features with Salt.
- Refactoring existing system management in Ansible as needed, or migrating to Salt.
- Working autonomously, or with the software engineering team, to troubleshoot and solve complex or unintuitive system issues.
- Work with the software engineers to achieve 100% self-service automation of build pipelines.
WHAT YOU BRING:
As a well-rounded system engineer and scripter, with a diverse set of skills, this makes you one of the very best people to troubleshoot, monitor the platform, and be on top of releases. You should definitely be the type that appreciates diversity in your day, and challenges outside of your comfort level!
- Experience working in an environment leveraging remote communication collaboration tools like slack, zoom etc. across multiple time zones
- Experience with git in a multi-contributor/team environment
- High degree of drive to improve and automate your environment with minimal guidance
- Be able to solve for the immediate, and plan to accommodate for future problems
- Experience in automating tasks through scripting. You should be able to use Python and be familiar with a variety of packages.
- Extensive experience administering a variety of Linux distributions
- Extensive experience with Ansible, Salt, Terraform
- Experience with bare metal hardware including physical servers, JBODs, physical cabling, and networking equipment.
- Experience with ZFS, XFS, GPFS, Ceph, or other distributed file systems
- Solid understanding of web protocols such as HTTP, TLS, HTTP/2, Server send events, CDN
- Solid understanding of nginx and SSL
- Experience with Grafana
- Experience managing Cassandra installations
- Experience in PXE based deployments
- Experience with a message queue system like RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Experience with build pipelines, integration testing, Jenkins, and github actions
- You can be located anywhere in the world, but we do keep a balance in distribution between time zones. Currently this role is only for those who can work standard North American working hours (work day starting somewhere in UTC -5 to UTC -8).
Our Hiring Process
Our hiring process is designed for us to get to know you as a person and engineer. It is also intended to give you an opportunity to get to know us! This is what you can expect after an application is submitted:
- A quick screening/questionnaire
- 45-minute phone interview with the hiring manager.
- 45-minute phone interviews with 3 engineers you will be interacting with at PacketFabric on a regular basis.
- Reference check.
PacketFabric is the connectivity cloud. We built a global, 50+Tbps carrier-class optical network that is completely automated and consumable on-demand like SaaS, so enterprises can connect the core of their hybrid and multi-cloud architectures and grow their digital business.
We offer private and secure point-to-point, hybrid cloud, multi-cloud, and custom connectivity services that you can provision in minutes via our self-service portal or programmable API. We offer flexible consumption of our services, with month-to-month or longer terms, or even usage-based for bursting and disaster recovery.
PacketFabric was recognized with the “2020 Fierce Telecom Innovation Award for Cloud Services,” named one of the “10 Hottest Networking Startups of 2020” by CRN, a Futuriom 40 Top Private Company, and a “2020 Cool Vendor in Enhanced Internet Services and Cloud Connectivity” by Gartner.
PacketFabric is a distributed, fully remote team with people living and working all over the world.
WHAT PACKETFABRIC OFFERS:
- Remote first, globally distributed team.
- The chance to disrupt the entrenched telecommunications infrastructure industry.
- A supportive and optimistic team that likes to learn from each other.
- A product development pipeline that’s constantly pushing new features and enhancing the quality of existing products.
- The opportunity to work with many different industries and customer types.
- A small company culture.
- Great health, dental, and 401(k) for US residents.
WHAT PACKETFABRIC DOESN’T OFFER:
- Lack of direction: we maintain a clear roadmap and product pipeline.
- A commute: no hours wasted in megaregion rush hour traffic.
- A dress code: a robe and slippers is acceptable attire any day of the week.
Here at PacketFabric, we want all of our employees to feel valued, appreciated, and free to be who they are. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and follow employment lifecycle processes designed to prevent discrimination against our people, regardless of gender identity or expression or intersex, sexual orientation, religion, spiritual beliefs, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status, national origin, citizenship, generation, culture, or any protected category under federal, state and local law.