Follow Up Boss: Senior Security Engineer
via We Work Remotely
About the job
As a Senior Security Engineer at Follow Up Boss, you’ll help product teams build secure software, review code, develop threat models, and lead security initiatives. You will help design and implement security-critical features in our PHP monolith. Ultimately, your work will have a direct impact on the security posture of our products and company.
Why would you want to work here?
We’re a bootstrapped, profitable company that started back in April 2011. We’re a young, ambitious company that only answers to our customers and we don’t just claim to be customer-centric – we live it. We’re fully remote and have been since day 1. Here are a few more reasons we think you’ll love working here – and be sure to check out our video on how we work:
- Opportunity to have a big impact on our growth and your career
- No red tape or pointless meetings
- Competitive base salary – top 10% in the US; for this position the range is $166K – $180K
- Strong benefits package including a 401k with 6% match, health/dental/vision insurance for you and our family, funding for continuing education, paid parental leave, kindle + unlimited books, home office setup, company meetups, and 20 PTO + 10 sick days
- Solve challenging problems and put your skills to the test every day.
- See the direct impact of your work and the value you created for customers.
- Provide direct input on technical and non-technical decisions. Your opinion matters.
This role is for you if…
- You would describe yourself as a patient, empathetic, and having a good sense of humor.
- You’re independent, self-motivated, and can stay efficient and productive without someone looking over your shoulder all day long
- You have superb written and verbal skills (with a professional yet fun demeanor)
- You are based in the United States (or a similar time zone)
- You are happy to have direct communication with customers (we are customer driven).
Your qualifications include:
- Self-motivated and proactive mindset.
- Remote work experience is required.
- Based in the USA, with a quiet home office with fast internet.
- At least 5 years of experience in security, with a focus on web applications.
- Passion for security with strong expertise in security best practices.
- Experience developing large-scale software in PHP and are familiar with cloud computing environments (we use AWS).
- Proficient understanding of Linux.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality.
- Pragmatic decision-making.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing tools and services that make Follow Up Boss safer.
- Build security-critical features along with other engineers.
- Researching security standards and new technologies from the industry
- Review PRs for the team from a security perspective as needed.
- Respond to security vulnerability reports.
- Assist in managing internal and external security audits.
- Mentor the team and organization regarding security best practices.
- Lead engineering and organization-wide security education initiatives. (veracode, riot, sonarqube, etc)
- Perform offensive penetration tests
- Implement automated security tools and monitoring.
30 Day Targets
- Become familiar with our product and codebase.
- Pair with fellow engineers to gain knowledge about the system and how we work.
- Improve the new hire onboarding process, by being a part of it.
- Help address priority security issues
- Assist in code reviews for the team, with a specific perspective of security.
60 Day Targets
- Implement security improvements for new and existing product functionality. e.g. Option for customers to enforce SSO for Office 365 users.
- Assist in prioritization of application security work.
90 Day Targets
- Ownership of various security education initiatives for developers and the organization. Assist in fleshing out these systems and processes.
- Assist in security review of critical product features
Core Engineering Values
- Code Quality
- Focus and Prioritization
- Customer Driven
- Leadership Qualities
Our Employment Package Includes
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like!
💰 Competitive salary: Our career framework pays in the top 10% no matter where you live.
👩🏾⚕️ Insurance: Company-paid health, dental & vision insurance for all of our team members and their families.
🍼 Family leave: generous family leave – fully paid!
💻 Home office setup: Get a Macbook Pro + $1000 to set up your home office.
👩🏻🏫 Personal development stipend: $1000 per year to focus on bettering yourself.
🤑 401(k): With a 6% company match!
✈️ Retreats: Join us for company get-togethers every year!
☕️ Co-working stipend: Get some extra cash for a co-working space or a coffee shop work.
📚 Free books and Kindle: Get a free Kindle and all the free books – digital and audio – you like, anytime.
💪 Gym: Monthly stipend to keep you active and feeling good.
☕️ Money each month to spend on caffeine.
Apply for the job
Do you want to join our team? Then we’d love to hear about you!