Feather: Senior Frontend Engineer – React – EU remote or relocation to Berlin
via We Work Remotely
We’re here to change a notoriously conservative industry that’s pretty against digitization and platform automation. Can you guess what it is? Yep, it’s insurance.
That’s why we need your help to change it! We want insurance to be honest, transparent, and simple, but we’re going to need some support.
You’ll be joining a team of talented engineers from around the world to build the best and most useful insurance tools in the industry. This includes building a secure channel for our customers to send sensitive data through our web app, setting up a referral engine, and making sure our customers have a flawless sign-up process.
Your work will help us expand our existing products and launch new ones throughout Europe. You will be one of our go-to people to make core technical decisions that ensure a smooth customer experience. The platform you build will be used to make insurance a little less of a hassle and a lot more reliable.
Why apply to Feather?
- Small team, flat hierarchy, mission-driven. The usual buzzwords here, except we actually mean them. We’re small, lean, and we love what we’re doing.
- A modern tech stack to work with. We use ReactJS with TypeScript, Next.js, and GraphQL with Apollo. Our CI/CD is built with GitHub Actions, and we use Jest, Cypress and Reg-viz for testing.
- You’ll be building a product that people need and are grateful for. Our excellent Trustpilot and Google reviews speak for themselves. We’ve built our products around people, and they love it!
- There’s plenty of space to grow. As a senior member of the engineering team, you would have a choice to grow into a staff engineer or step on the manager’s path.
- You’ll have the freedom to experiment. We do hack days/hack weeks where you can experiment with new technologies and new ways of working. Our design system (dirtyswan.design) actually came out of a hack day. More on hack days can be found here.
- You’ll help us contribute to open source. We’re big believers in building in the open. We love the way GitLab, Artsy, Sentry, and others contribute to open source, and we’re following that path too!
- You’ll decide where to work from. We are a remote company mostly hiring in Europe. You’ll be able to work anywhere so long that you stay within +-1h the CET timezone.
What you’ll be responsible for:
In this role, you’ll work in a small cross-functional product team with other developers, product owners, and designers.
What working at Feather will be like:
- A lot of hands-on coding on challenging projects
- Mentoring our junior and mid-level developers
- Interviewing engineers and making hiring decisions
- Collaborating and communicating with other teams and departments
- Giving technical talks as well as running technical demos and workshops
- Proposing architectural changes using our RFC process
- Writing posts for our technical blog and working on open source
- And much more!
As an example, check out some of the items from our roadmap in no particular order:
- Preparing for new countries – that is introducing localization, i18n and reusable signup flows – to offer our products outside Germany and in multiple languages.
- Setting up a headless CMS to help the marketing team iterate faster on landing pages.
- Contributing to our generic and type-safe questionnaire engine similar to Typeform.
- Coming up with tools to help increase the speed of our Frontend team while maintaining top code quality.
- Sharing parts of our development process as posts on our dev.to blog and giving talks at meet-ups and conferences.
- Iterating on our authentication system to protect customer accounts from XSS and share authentication patterns across multiple apps.
- Building a secure, GDPR compliant way to communicate with customers inside our existing app
- You’re an excellent communicator both around technical and non-technical people.
- Experience using a component-oriented approach and thinking in a reusable way. Our design system is a great example for that.
- You can write clean, maintainable, and reusable code and make design decisions regarding the architecture of the services that you’ll be implementing.
- You are familiar with modern CI/CD and developer tooling such as linters and testing frameworks.
- Experience with static typing and code analysis. We’re using TypeScript for most of our projects.
- You have some experience with monitoring, logging, and caching solutions on frontend applications used by thousands of users
- You are proactive in suggesting alternative solutions and pushing your ideas.
Does this sound like a good fit for you? Apply now!
- At Feather, we are huge advocates for diversity and inclusion. From LGBTQ+ events to open discussions about eliminating bias, we highly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
- We encourage people without degrees to apply: we believe that what you’ve worked on and achieved is way more important than on-paper qualifications.