Create Ape, inc.: Director of Web Development
via We Work Remotely
Headquarters: Southern California
At CreateApe, the Director of Web Development is responsible for working closely with Sales & Marketing, Design and Project Management teams to ensure our clients and projects have strategic, seamless experiences to elevate our brand and optimize the client journey from end to end.
CreateApe is seeking a Director of Web Development to manage our full stack software development team. While they are technically credible and know the details of what developers and engineers work on, their time is spent safeguarding their team’s health, building a world-class team, and putting them in the best position to succeed. The correct individual will own the delivery of product commitments, identify and execute technology and processes to increase performance, and is always looking to improve productivity. They must also coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals with the Design, Product, and Project Management teams.
- Manage a growing team of (currently) 25 software developers (HTML, CSS, WordPress, Laravel/PHP, ReactNative, AWS, GitHub).
- Help author project plans
- Implement and run agile development management processes
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas.
- Maintain empathy for the team by keeping awareness of full software development lifecycle processes and practices. Examples might be: evaluating individual workflow during one on ones, conducting code reviews, or working on non-critical path bugs and/or features.
- Help to identify top talent, seek and hire globally-distributed developers
- Conduct interviews for qualified candidates, and train team members to perform technical interviews
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Give regular and clear feedback around the team, as well as individual performance
- Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Draft OKRs and software development KPIs
- Improve product quality, security, and performance by recommending and implementing technology and process improvements.
- Participate in incident management to help ensure the availability and SLAs are met, by working with various team members.
- Exquisite brokering skills: regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- 5 years or more experience in web and/or mobile application development
- 2 years or more experience in a leadership role with current technical experience
- In-depth technical experience in at least one of the core languages, frameworks, or technologies used here at CreateApe
- Experience growing a development team while rapidly scaling up workload and responsibilities as the company continues to grow.
- Manage joint development with 3rd party vendors as well as outsourced development.
- Bilingual English/Spanish (most of our development team is primarily spanish speaking, although everyone at CreateApe is a competent English speaker)
- Working knowledge of the backend technologies used by our team such as AWS, WPengine, Flywheel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience setting up and maintaining CI/CD Pipelines with GitHub
- Experience in a peak performance organization
- Experience managing a development team at a digital and/or technology agency.
- Working knowledge of modern frontend frameworks, such as Laravel, React, and Angular
- Experience with SonarQube
- Experience with Sentry.io
- Product company experience
- Startup experience
- Enterprise software company experience
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about SDLC, client satisfaction and a wide array of software development tools