Business Directory Plugin: Senior WordPress Software Engineer (Remote)
via We Work Remotely
Headquarters: Utah, United States
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through from conception to completion. Our developers often “own” features/tasks and are responsible for scoping, development, and testing.
- You’re an excellent communicator, fluent in both verbal and written English, who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks. We believe communication is critical and there is no such thing as over-communicating.
- You have the curiosity and desire to learn and grow your skills.
- You’re passionate about leaving your mark on the web for all to see and are excited to work on tasks that impact thousands of users.
- You take pride in the quality and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You’re a team player who is comfortable working alongside and helping other developers, and you don’t take critical feedback personally.
- You’re happy jumping between front-end and back-end development tasks or tackling tasks that require both.
- You’re happy working on tasks of all sizes – from minor bug fixes and enhancements to large features/rewrites.
Common responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Triaging bugs and small enhancements that come into GitHub.
- Scoping, writing, and testing new product features and add-ons.
- Refactoring legacy code with particular attention to backward compatibility.
- Providing feedback and peer review for other developers (Github PRs).
- When tickets are escalated, debug customer issues in our help desk.
- Professional experience with WordPress plugin development, architecture, and standards.
- Advanced proficiency with PHP and MySQL, including modern PHP practices (OOP, autoloading, traits, interfaces, etc).
- Strong familiarity with JavasScript (vanilla JS, jQuery, etc).
- Ability to use and extend build tools like webpack.
- Familiarity with package managers such as NPM.
- Experience working with third-party APIs (Eg Stripe, MailChimp, Zapier, etc).
- Competent with version control through git and GitHub.
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly.
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to keep complex ideas and features simple. (Simplicity is a core value!)
- Previous freelance or remote work experience.
- Experience with e-commerce platforms or related APIs (WooCommerce, Stripe, PayPal, etc).
- Experience with DevOps or infrastructure management.
Working for a fast-growing bootstrapped company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. Here’s what we offer.
- Competitive Salary.
- Work from your home. We’re spread out all over the world – United States, Africa, Ireland, Philippines, and more.
- Unlimited PTO after 60 days of employment. We encourage employees to take the time they need for vacation, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- We happily provide or reimburse software you’ll need as well as books or courses that promote continued learning.
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a difference.
- Ability to work with some of the best people in the business through frequent interactions.
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks.
We won’t be able to individually respond to all applications, but if we feel you’re a strong match, someone will be in touch shortly. Qualified candidates will be asked to do a simple code challenge.
Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!